Discourse

Discuss the OpenNIC project as a whole.
Ole Juul

Discourse

Postby Ole Juul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:31 pm

There hasn't been any discussion on this forum for a long time, so I thought I'd add the latest discussion that is taking place on the mailing list, IRC, and discord. Some people feel that it's time to move on and perhaps be able to be more inclusive than we have been. Discourse is such a choice. Discourse had been around for a good amount of time, it’s from the people behind StackOverflow (iirc), and it’s adopted by huge open source communities including Ubuntu and Mozilla.

I'm personally in favour of old style text-only methods of communication and practice that philosophy in my personal computing. There seems to be others who prefer such an approach as well. It allows anybody with even minimal computing power to participate and manipulate the information as they see fit on their own device. However, there are many people now who don't work that way, and indeed don't even have the tools to do so. There is indeed an advantage to email in that it forms a record, but there are also a lot of people now who don't, or rarely, use email. Our ML is basically hidden from them. The same goes for IRC. I'm guessing that there are a lot of the people with an interest in OpenNIC who would join our discussions and participate if there was a way to do it which worked for them. Perhaps Discourse is such a tool.

JonahAragon
T1 Operator

Re: Discourse

Postby JonahAragon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:42 pm

We do have a development server running at https://discourse-dev.opennic.org/ and I encourage everyone to check it out!

Return to “OpenNIC”