Alternative DNS and other things

Discuss the forum itself.
Ole Juul

Alternative DNS and other things

Postby Ole Juul » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:02 am

There isn't really a place to discuss DNS in the context of why OpenNIC exists. There is no doubt a lot of variation in people's ideologies and I am certainly interested in hearing about them. To me, the whole idea of alternative DNS is key.

Another subject of interest to me, is what people are doing with OpenNIC. Technical issues are of course indispensable, but on their own are really just a game - a tool without a task. What kinds of web services are people developing? What kinds of problems are they solving? I have my own ideas, but would like to have discussions about this. I guess the projects section is OK for that except what if there is no project and it is just some ideas about things that one could or might do?

Also, ideas about privacy are very topical these days. In fact I first discovered OpenNIC when looking for non-logging servers. It wasn't until later that I came to think about much wider application.

In any case I'm just musing on what is missing here and certainly understand that a lot of areas just dilutes the postings. Nevertheless, I do think that a place to discuss ideology is missing. A subject like Alternative DNS is all that comes to mind at the moment, but to my way of thinking, something is needed.

Perhaps rename the General Talk section and add a discussion sub forum? And perhaps add an "off topic" for chit chat.

All just food for though. The forum admin makes the calls. :)

chip
T2 Operator

Re: Alternative DNS and other things

Postby chip » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:38 pm

Great feedback, I've added a category called "Theory and Discussion" that has a place to discuss OpenNIC as a project and Alternative DNS in general.
achip on #opennic | chip.geek

Return to “Meta”