Resolver Tester (or something)

Discuss new and miscellaneous projects that don't have a home elsewhere in the forum.
chip
T2 Operator

Resolver Tester (or something)

Postby chip » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:16 am

After hearing about myresolver.info from Soni on IRC it sounded like a useful tool for troubleshooting resolver issues. I've managed to put together a resolver-tester. It has two modes of operation Simple and Advanced. It can be used at http://tester.chip.geek and http://test.dnstest.org. Its source can be viewed on Bitbucket and pull requests are welcome.

Simple mode
Simple mode is a quick and easy way to see if you are able to resolve OpenNIC and ICANN TLDs by loading two 49B GIFs. One (green) is reachable via an OpenNIC domain, another (blue) is reachable via an ICANN domain. If a user's browser can load both images, they can resolve both types of TLDs. If they only see one, something is wrong and Advanced testing is helpful.

Advanced mode
In addition to an image test similar to the Simple mode, Advanced mode includes an anchor tag for each type of domain and example commands for *nix and Windows computers. However, the real power of the tool is available in this mode. Each user is presented with a unique identifying string (based on and MD5 the client's IP Address concatenated with the current Unix time) that is added to the domain names. This uniquely identifies the DNS queries, the DNS client IP address is saved to a file with the unique ID as the file name. AJAX requests on the Advance mode webpage poll the file for all the IP addresses that have performed requests for the fully qualified domain name. These addresses are compared to the list of OpenNIC Tier 2 servers for quicker cross referencing.

This allows the user to make queries in a variety of methods and see the resolvers they are using in semi-real time.

As mentioned before, this is a working project and pull requests and improvements are welcome. My goals for the next few iterations is to improve the installation process and reduce magic numbers and strings.
achip on #opennic | chip.geek

chip
T2 Operator

Re: Resolver Tester (or something)

Postby chip » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:06 am

Version 0.2 is up.
In this version:
    * Scary red warning if you're using a T2 that is not in a "Pass" state
    * Increase uniqueness of uniqid
    * Transition to AGPLv3 License
    * Reorganization of files in the directory

p3rlphr33k

Postby p3rlphr33k » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:34 am

I have been trying to get this working but I can't seem tofigure out what your doing to resolve the random sub-sub-domain.

I am creating an A record for test on my DNS server:
test IN A x.x.x.x

and pointing to the server with the script as the sub-dns server:
* IN NS test.domain.com.

which fails because of the wild card. So I attempted again with:
test IN NS test.domain.com.

What am I doing wrong here? I have the feeling this is a palm-to-face solution and I am overlooking. Can you help me out?

chip
T2 Operator

Postby chip » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Thanks for trying to set up the platform it was very useful feedback. I'll expand the README and the documentation to include what we talked about as well as add some more on how the process works. Perhaps a ASCIIFlow drawing overview of the system would also be useful.

I do hope you can get the Perl server working, that would be an awesome addition to the package.

Return to “Misc. Projects”