DNS and Mail services for OpenNIC domains

Discuss new and miscellaneous projects that don't have a home elsewhere in the forum.
ColtonDRG

DNS and Mail services for OpenNIC domains

Postby ColtonDRG » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Hello, all.

I have recently been thinking about the possibility of setting up a DNS and Mail service for OpenNIC domains. I don't presently run my own DNS resolver because I've been satisfied with other free services for DNS resolution. Unfortunately, most of these free services only allow you to use ICANN domains, which is a bit disappointing. reg.for.free does do some very limited DNS service, but it has two big problems. It is very very limited, and it only works on the domains that can be registered at reg.for.free. Someone should provide a free DNS service that works at all OpenNIC domains and gives you access to more kinds of records.

Additionally, I've been pondering mail for OpenNIC domains. I do run a mail server, and it would be very easy to set up that server to recieve and even send mail to/from OpenNIC domains. That said, not everyone wants to run their own mail server, and there are other issues. For example, should the users of OpenNIC domains be able to send email to ICANN domains? How can they recieve mail from ICANN domains? I think someone should set up an email service that would easily allow people to use their OpenNIC domains for email. This still leaves us with a problem though. Sending and recieving to/from ICANN domains. The way I see it, there are three ways around this.

1. Ignore it. Outgoing mail to ICANN domains should work just fine, but incoming mail from any server that doesn't have OpenNIC DNS set up won't reach the recipient. On top of that, email service providers are likely to be unhappy with the fact that they're getting mail from non-ICANN TLDs, and think there is some kind of spoofing going on and block the server.

2. Block it. We can block outgoing mail that's being sent to any ICANN domain from being sent. This means that users of this service will only be able to communicate with other users of this service. This would work fine, but it's not ideal. We would prefer if everyone can talk to eachother.

3. Translate it. If we can make it so any outgoing mail to an ICANN domain will automatically have it's from header changed from user@domain.geek to, for example, user@domain.geek.opennicmail.com, and configure the server to deliver mail for user@domain.geek.opennicmail.com to user@domain.geek's mailbox, we could be able to peer with Gmail and any other ordinary email provider with ease. Anyone using an ordinary email service would simply have to add opennicmail.com to the end of the user's email address, and it should reach the user's mailbox with no problem. Additionally, since we would modify the from header, the mail services should be happy and users should be able to reply to eachother with no problem at all.

I really like the sound of the third option. I really want to provide these things, but I'm not really sure where to start with implementation. Maybe I'll do some playing around with it later.

Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas for how to implement it. Thanks. :D

chip
T2 Operator

Re: DNS and Mail services for OpenNIC domains

Postby chip » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:57 am

I really like the idea of the third option and it should be doable. I know postfix has an option to rewrite addresses http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html. If you ever need any help give me a shout it sounds like a great project.
achip on #opennic | chip.geek

ColtonDRG

Postby ColtonDRG » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks. I will do some work on setting up a DNS and mail server today. We'll see if I can make that work. The biggest problem I see is rewriting the from address only if the to address is an ICANN domain. Hopefully we can make it work. Also, this isn't really required, but it would make my life much easier if we could add a wildcard MX and SPF record. I don't know enough about email and DNS to know if this works or not.

ColtonDRG

Postby ColtonDRG » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:42 pm

I've registered mail.null (I wanted mail.geek, but alas, it was already registered. :( ) and set up a server. I will be setting up the server to serve mail and see if I can get this thing working, then I'll start working on rewriting those addresses and other such things. I also want to know what ICANN domain I should register for the service. I considered opennic.email, but I don't know if that violates any trademarks or anything like that. I also considered nullmail.org and other such similar names. I think we're actually going to make this happen! :D I have also determined that, even though it sounds stupid, I'm going to host the webmail and registration interfaces on an ICANN domain so we can have encrypted communication of user's personal information including their passwords using Let's Encrypt. I do have some ideas for circumventing that, but that's a project for a different day.

chip
T2 Operator

Postby chip » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:25 pm

I was also poking around .email domains trying to think of slick names but I think a com/net/org would probably reduce the likelihood of emails getting bounced based on the domain name alone. Putting the webmail on an ICANN domain makes sense but you could also run the webmail on a OpenNIC domain with a self signed cert in addition to the ICANN domain (for the purists).

A wildcard MX record should work but I'll test it with digbot.
achip on #opennic | chip.geek

Return to “Misc. Projects”