Why do you use OpenNIC?

Discuss the OpenNIC project as a whole.
Ole Juul

Why do you use OpenNIC?

Postby Ole Juul » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:24 pm

I first encountered OpenNIC when I was looking for DNS servers that were non-logging. There aren't a lot around. Anyway, it seems that ON servers mostly claime to not log, though I haven't yet seen any code which would guarantee that. In any case I found a server that suits me, and it's been my main resolver ever since.

How did you stumble upon OpenNIC?

Nadia

Re: Why do you use OpenNIC?

Postby Nadia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 pm

I myself am & have been a voracious privacy advocate & activist for a couple decades. Yes, decades. Fast-forwarding to what we now know as the internet and all of its inherent privacy issues, I discovered OpenNIC doing research on various ways people give up personal information without even realizing their doing it, & just who benefits from said information unwittingly given out. Where I discovered OpenNIC, I'm unsure. I just knew that the decentralized, democratically "controlled" & non-logging DNS "organization" known as OpenNIC was and still is for me. And I don't see that changing.

dax7

Postby dax7 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Nadia wrote:I myself am & have been a voracious privacy advocate & activist for a couple decades. Yes, decades. Fast-forwarding to what we now know as the internet and all of its inherent privacy issues, I discovered OpenNIC doing research on various ways people give up personal information without even realizing their doing it, & just who benefits from said information unwittingly given out. Where I discovered OpenNIC, I'm unsure. I just knew that the decentralized, democratically "controlled" & non-logging DNS "organization" known as OpenNIC was and still is for me. And I don't see that changing.

Same goes for me, I quoted you because you said pretty much everything I would have , don't believe I could have said it better ! OpenNIC for you and me alike. In a online world with so much in the lines of everything NIC is not , it is a real treasure.

QWERTYUIOP

’straya.

Postby QWERTYUIOP » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:41 am

New user here, so haven’t really gotten to u s e it as yet :P
I found out about OpenNIC whilst reading a zine from TEXTFILES.COM (though I can’t remember which).
The main reason I signed up, TBH, is that I like messing with my PC settings, as a way to learn about it. Also, the current “Government” (I use the word loosely) has gotten the idea that it should start telling ISPs what it should block—and some super dodgy stuff is going on with our unintelligence agencies for some time—which has gotten me interested in learning about the internets.
https://www.efa.org.au/2013/06/05/asic- ... 000-sites/ <-- Amusing Government incompetence ;)
Oh! I also love that “oz” is a tld (again).
You can probably guess where I’m from (follow the URL if you can’t).

Ole Juul

Postby Ole Juul » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:03 am

This is still a good topic. Constantly defining the value of one's tools is a process that can server to make things more efficient and indeed, more valuable.

Return to “OpenNIC”